Sausage and Fennel Orecchiette
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 (6-ounce) pork sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 handful walnuts, hand crushed
- 1/2bulb fennel (or more depending on your taste), thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for seasoning
Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and the sausages and using a wooden spoon, break up the sausages into small pieces as you brown them. Add the fennel and bay leaves and continue to cook.
Once the sausage is golden brown, add the wine to the pan, and stir away, let the alcohol evaporate, then lower the heat and season with salt and pepper. Add the walnuts and let the sauce slowly simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions.
Add the cooked pasta to the sausage pan and toss. Add grated Parmesan, to taste. Serve immediately.